Friday 1 February 2008

Tawe Guild Newsletter, January 2008

Another New Year and so much happening in the Guild!

We had very successful days at the Carer’s Day in Port Talbot in December and at Tesco’s. A woman came up to me at work, said she knew me, ( I thought I was having another senior moment because I could not remember her!) and then proceeded to show me her telephone video of the Conga dancing spinners! We’re famous!

Everyone that we could reach was invited to the initial meeting of the “Woolbox” project. This is the best way we think we can raise money and access funding for the Guild. The woolbox contains activities and information on wool, aimed at primary schools. It would be our intention to hire out these boxes to schools and raise monies for the Guild. If anyone is interested in helping out, please get in touch with either Debb Reid 01639 813472or myself 01792 830106.

There is an updated list of workshop dates. Please read and alter your Association calendars accordingly. There has also been a fire in the Pottery room at the Cross which has necessitated some remedial works to be carried out. This delayed our weaving workshop on 26th January, but hopefully all can go ahead as planned, on the 2nd Feb.

The Association AGM and conference is due to take place 11 – 13 April at Tulliallan Castle in Kincardine in Fife. A few of our members are intending going and it is always good to be represented at a National event. Another ASWD date for your diary is 25th July to 22nd August, the National Exhibition at Liverpool Hope University.

I am in receipt of documentation from Caerphilly Council, inviting the Guild to attend various festivals including: The Big Cheese 26 – 27 July, The Big Balloon Festival 24 – 26 August, and the Christmas Market 13 – 14 December. If anyone is interested in attending, let me know and I can pass on the application forms. The deadline for these is 22nd February.

We have another busy year in front of us team. The Guild has 2 exhibitions this year. One in August to coincide with the Pontardawe Festival, 11 – 21 August, and the other is 6 – 17 October at the National Waterfront Museum. Not forgetting the Eisteddfod 2 – 9 August! Right, who is organising the “chill out” party in the middle of all these dates?? I think it might be my Clive and we can all relax in the hot tub!! What do you think?

Enough for now. Can I just thank everyone for their commitment to the Guild and their continuing support. So many other Guilds are dwindling but we have lost our funding and we are growing. That is such an achievement.

Nell
01792 830106 mobile 07977 538086

Thanks for that Nell,love Debb.

1 comment:

soma said...

I liked the monk's belt weaving very much .I would like to know more about it please.thanks soooo much.
Dr. Samia